Monday, September 14, 2009

Gluten free Muffins

Having to cook for a celiac is not always easy, especially when it comes to baking. I am busy trying to find a "perfect muffin base which is home made but tastes good. So I started browsing the net to find an easy muffin recipe. I think most people are put off cooking special diets as they can't find the ingredients, like Xanthan gum, so I started playing with the recipes.

The first try of a highly rated recipe was a total flop......too liquid, puffing up and then...flat, bummer. So I took the same recipe and added some more of the flour mix, bingo, we are going in the right direction. So the second try is a lot better, I just feel there is a bit too much sugar and baking powder in the recipe, so I have added more flour and the third try is now in the oven.
No, still not happy, let me change the recipe again! I wonder where is good old Mr. McGee with his book explaining what is happening while I bake the muffin, would like to read it up and see where I go wrong. This is getting ridiculous, when is the muffin trial ending?????

Good, now we got everything right, I did two different batches with NR. 4 and 5 and NR. 5 worked well. I had a couple of people in the bakery for tasting and they all liked it very much. Now we can use the basic mix and just add the extras like chopped apples or choc chip or blueberries.

On the photo one can see try number 2 to 5. Number one is too embarrassing to post, a total flop!


One can truly say that this recipe is tried and tested, lol



And here the recipe

3 cups gluten free flour mix
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
0.5 tsp gluten free baking powder
0.25 tsp salt
0.5 ea vanilla bean scraped
2.5 ea eggs
0.5 cup milk
0.5 cup butter melted
2 ea apples in cubes
0.5 cup raisins

Mix all the dry ingredients, then add the wet ones, stir quickly together to form a batter.

Bake in the pre-heated oven at 160 o C for about 20 to 25 min or till golden brown.


Of course one can exchange the apples and raisins with anything like chocolate chips or blueberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...