Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Zurich



Zurich, one of my favorite cities. Why? Maybe because it was the first “big” city I lived in when I left home with my innocent 16 years. I made my apprentice ship in the Hotel Zurich, now the Marriott and loved every moment of being there. Zurich is a big city on Friday and Saturday night, but then a small town on Sunday morning. It has the high life, the normal life, plenty of street coffees, shops, just everything and it is on a lake which makes it even more special.



I haven’t been here in many years and must say, not much has changed, the Bahnhof Strasse just got a bit more fancy more jeweler shops and expensive places, but it is still nice. I made a couple of photos to show you the beauty of Zurich and of course will part with a favorite recipe the Zurcher Geschnetzeltes, sliced veal with mushrooms in cream sauce. This is very traditional here, it is easy to prepare and goes perfect with the Rosti recipe I gave you a short while ago, it is actually normally eaten with Rosti




When I go to Zurich I always like to walk down the Bahnhof Strasse with all the luxury shops, I like to pop in a Orell Fussly a well know book shop and the one on the Bahnhof Strasse (corner Rennweg) is in English and has a great array of books. Then I like to walk up Rennweg and like to eat in the Taverna Catalana, a lovely Spanish Restaurant that is there since at least 25 years and is in the same ownership. Jose, the owner still stands in the kitchen and helps out and the food is a delicious and simple fare.




After lunch one best walk downhill, through the old part of Zurich towards the river Limmat. It is a great place to rest a bit and maybe have some ice cream before heading over to the Niderdorf, the “red light district” of Zurich. It is a great place where one can find everything from the top designer shop to the up market restaurant to the pizzeria, pub, bar, private club and x rated move house, everything is next to each other and that makes the Niderdorf so attractive. During my chef apprenticeship I spent many nights there with my friends, having drinks after work.....too young still to do any of the naughty stuff. It is a very save place where everybody can still walk around at 1 AM in the morning and usually it is still very busy at this time of the night.


Zurcher Geschnetzeltes for 4 friends
450 G (1 lb) Sliced Veal
250 G (0.5 lb) Mushrooms sliced
150 G (5 Oz) Onions in dices
Oli, Salt, Pepper

100 Ml (3 Oz) Whitewine
100 Ml (3 Oz) Beef Stock (Demi Glace)
250 Ml (9 Oz) Heavy Cream


Fry the meat in a very hot pan, just for a couple of seconds till the meat turns brown, but is still only half cooked

Take the meat out, then add teh mushrooms and onions. The bottom of the pan is getting brown, when it reaches a dark brown color add the white wine, then the Demi Gace and theh cream.


Season and reduce till the sauce gets thick and creamy.


Just before serving add the veal and bring once to the boil, serve and eat immediately

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...