Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Cherbourg, France on a beautiful market!!

We are on the way to the Baltic, but of course with a couple of stops on the way. Today we are in Cherbourg in Normandy, France. It is still early in the year and the weather is fresh but we are lucky and it is another sunny day. The highlight for me was the market, it was totally unexpected and so enjoyable, especially all the cheeses like on the photo abofe. I was totally in heaven here and enjoyed every minute with all the smells finding their way in to my nose!

I have to be honest, I have seen nicer ports in my career, but then again, it is not too bad. A short bus drive brought us straight in the city center, one could even walk. Then there are plenty of shops and of course restaurants. For me the city itself is not the tourist magnet, but close by there are the famous beached of D-Day, when the allied forces landed on the French Coast to fight the German Army.

I didn’t go there, but just walked around town a bit and looked at the local attraction. One of them was just next to the ship; it is the Cite de la mer, a museum of submarines. This is definitely worth going to see, very interesting and interactive, especially if the weather should not be that great.

Anyway, it is nice to be here, it is not a place I would have driven especially, but as the ship is stopping here, it was worth going outside, like I said, there is plenty to do in the region and it is a perfect place to explore the history of the second world war, something everybody should stop and start thinking if it was really worth all these lives…..of course not, so come here to Cherbourg and get a taste of this terrible time in human history


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...